Friday, 9 November 2012

When Impatient Robbers Killed An Innocent Electrician In Lagos

 The scene. Inset: Wale
An electrician, Wale Osisanwo, has been shot dead in Lagos by two suspected robbers after he engaged them in an argument at Salawe Junction in Ketu.
Wale, 37, popularly called Walata in the area was said to be controlling traffic flow in front of his shop on Saturday when he encountered the suspects.
Eyewitnesses said at about 8pm that fateful day, the two men got to the scene on a motorcycle and became impatient. They challenged Wale, who was controlling vehicles passing in the area.
Wale’s brother, Lekan who said, “When the two men came, they were so impatient with the way he (Wale) was controlling the traffic because our area is always congested.
“Everybody thought it was just a normal argument. Nobody really paid attention to what was going on. The men on the motorcycle wanted to move on quickly, while he told them to be patient.
“One of the men on the motorcycle suddenly brought out a gun and shot him point blank. Everybody fled immediately, while the assailants fled as well.”
Lekan said everybody thought Wale had also ran away until one of his friends saw him lying in a pool of his blood.
He was shot in the chest.

According to Lekan, Wale was quickly rushed to the Accident and Emergency Hospital at Seven-Up near the former tollgate, where he was pronounced dead.
One of the victim’s friends, Lekan Azeez, said youths in the area had not been able to recover from the death of Wale.
He said he was loved by all because he was a “big brother” to all the youth in the area.
Our correspondent learnt that Wale left behind four children, all of whom are attending a private school.
His wife, Adenike, could not speak with our correspondent on Wednesday.
Lekan said since the incident, Adenike had stopped eating until she was prevailed upon on Wednesday to take a light meal.
A candlelight procession was held in the victim’s honour on Sunday at the spot where he was killed.
The youth said attacks by bandits and robbers were rife in the area, adding that two people had been shot earlier in the year but they survived.
Wale’s killing, according to them, was reported at the Ketu Police Division. Efforts to find out if the police had any lead on the case proved abortive as the Divisional Police Officer did not answer a call to his phone on Wednesday.
The Police Public Relations Officer of the state police command, Ngozi Braide, said she had not been briefed on case.

No comments:

Post a Comment